What is the 30 Mile Meal?
Welcome to the epicenter of a vibrant and thriving local foods economy! We are a part of the most local of locavore initiatives in the country, the 30 Mile Meal. The brand unites growers, producers, servers, and sellers under one exclusive identity in order to signal truly local food. Any food business can participate, so long as it makes or uses food or ingredients from within 30 miles of Athens, Ohio. This includes our many farmers, specialty food producers, farmers and retail markets, food events, and independently-owned eateries and bars featuring locally sourced menus. The project supports local food and business by creating more market opportunities for farmers, food producers, food events, and local food businesses.
Athens, Ohio: The First 30 Mile Meal Community in the Nation
The city of Athens is a university town surrounded by gently rolling farmland dotted with small family farms, making it the perfect place to start the 30 Mile Meal project in 2010. The farms in this region produce a wide variety of produce, dairy and meat products. 30 Mile Meal began out of an effort to bring these local products to the plates of Athens’ restaurants. The program’s success in Athens is a testament to the abundance of high-quality local produce, cooperation between restaurants and farmers, and a growing interest of our region’s consumers to support the local economy by patronizing restaurants who shop locally. These pages will assist you in discovering and supporting over 150 of our local food participants today!
What We Do
Our mission is to use collaboration and cross promotion to increase the visibility and sustainability of local foods farmers, producers, farmers markets, CSAs, food markets, eateries, bars, and food events within a 30 mile radius of Athens, Ohio. Our vision is Southeast Ohio’s local foods community as a thriving, interconnected, and collaborative partnership creating and promoting earning, learning, and celebratory opportunities for the people, places, events and organizations in our region.
In order to realize these goals, we:
- Assist locals and visitors to find local foods through our searchable Athens 30 Mile Meal map
- Provide residents and visitors with a recognizable 30 Mile Meal identity to guide them towards local foods experiences
- Offer inclusion to any individual, business, organization, event or community that meets our participant criteria
- Maintain the integrity of the 30 Mile Meal designation
- Foster collaboration, partnerships, and economic opportunity amongst our local food growers, producers, sellers and servers
- Support a sustainable and accessible local food economy
- Help organize events that showcase our participants
- Provide tools and opportunities that sustain, improve and expand food-related enterprises
- Introduce you to players in our local foods economy through stories on our blog